How to get a UKARA membership?
Getting a UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association) membership is quite straightforward; you need to take part in three Airsoft games at a registered UKARA site during the course of two months. You need to live in the UK and be at least 18 years or older, and you also have to provide two forms of identification such as a Passport, Driving license (Provisional license) or Bank Statement (1 photo ID with DOB & 1 Address ID).
Most game sites in the UK are registered with the UKARA; if you are unsure about a site, simply check this list we have compiled or contact your Airsoft site for more details.
What are the benefits of having a UKARA membership?
The most important benefit is that you can actually purchase a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF). These are airsoft guns which look identical to their real-life weapon counterparts. Also, if you already own a two-tone airsoft weapon, you will then be able to paint it to look like the real deal. Finally, you’ll also be able sell your RIFs, but only to another person who has a UKARA membership.
What if I don’t have a UKARA membership?
Without a UKARA membership, you don’t have the right to paint a two-tone gun (doing so is a criminal offense) and it is illegal for someone to sell you a real imitation firearm. However, do not fear… you can still purchase and own a two-tone gun, this means the weapon you purchase will have to have 50% of its body painted in a bright color so that it does not imitate a real weapon. Only after getting your UKARA membership you can repaint these guns to whatever color you please.
Other important things to remember.
- Always wear eye protection when using your guns.
- Never fire the gun at an animal.
- Never fire the gun at a person (without consent) as this could be dealt with as common assault, actual bodily harm.
- If you shoot someone else’s property with your replica and it gets broken or damaged, intentionally or recklessly, it could be classed as criminal damage.
- Never take your replica into a town/city, regardless of its ability to fire bullets, you will be arrested, and there is a high possibility that an armed police unit will be deployed to deal with the threat. Be safe and just don’t do it.
- Always remember to conceal your guns when you are travelling with them or in public, and never under any circumstances uncover or shoot your guns in a public space.